Participating investigators will have the opportunity to be represented in publications, based on certain authorship rules described for E²-RADIatE and relevant cohorts.
This will follow the principle of maximum inclusivity.
The authorship rules are in line with EORTC publication policies and conform to the recommendations of the International Committee of Medical Journal Editors defining the roles of authors and contributors.
The authorship rules are described hereunder:
- The Project lead Principal Investigator is the first author, unless he/she has included no patient. The PI is usually the person who conceived the project, unless otherwise agreed and, consequently, he/she is expected to be the first author. However, the E²-RADIatE Steering Committee has the final say to define and decide on first authorship, should a dispute arise.
- The Cohort Coordinating Committee of a cohort will decide their authorship rule based contribution.
- Participating investigators will be represented on the publication as defined by the Coordinating Committee of the cohort, following the principle of maximum inclusivity of contributors.
- Should authorship be limited in space, the Cohort Coordinating Committee of the cohort will decide at their best
- Non-clinical authors will be appointed as needed. At minimum, the study statistician and those from the coordination office who substantially contributed must be co-authors.
- All publications are made on behalf of the founding bodies (ESTRO and EORTC) and E²-RADIatE.
- Contributors (individuals who could not be listed as authors) and other partners or stakeholders should be both acknowledged and made clearly visible in the main publication.
- Related publications (secondary analysis, etc.) should recognize fair authorship representation of all contributors. Decisions should be discussed at the level of the Steering Committee. In case of emerging conflicts, the E²-RADIatE Steering Committee has the responsibility to take and enforce a fair and neutral decision.
For OligoCare, the following rules will also apply:
First author: Principle Investigator (PI) of a sub-project
Last author: Not pre-defined
Co-authors: as inclusive as possible, but with a dynamic, 2-stepped approach:
- Members of the OligoCare Study group/Consortium are listed on general OligoCare publications. This includes all members of the Coordinating Committee for OligoCare, all members of the three OligoCare Work Packages, and all institutional PIs who enrolled patients (min. 3 patients per year and with complete data set).
- Other authors will be included on a publication related to a specific research question, when the data of patients included by the institution are used for answering that research question.